Tory Lanez may need to take more time before making any decision. During Megan Thee Stallion's shooting trial, the Canadian hip-hop star reportedly regrets not testifying in his own defense.
According to Rolling Stone, while the "Say It" rapper awaits sentencing for assaulting the Hot Girl Meg with a semiautomatic firearm, a source said that he feels his trial lawyer misled him into not testifying in his defense. The insider claimed that the emcee wanted to take the witness stand to plead his case directly to jurors but was dissuaded by former defense lawyer George Mgdesyan.
Tory has hired Casey Anthony's former defense lawyer Jose Baez, Suge Knight's ex-lawyer David Kenner and an attorney named Matthew Barhoma.
Earlier this week, Jose told TMZ that he's confident in the appeal. "Looking at this case, I certainly wish I had come in sooner as opposed to later," he said, "Unfortunately, this is the way that it is, but he's got me now, and I'm certainly willing to give him everything I have and hopefully, we'll get the best result possible for him."
Jose also suggested that "numerous errors" were made during the felony trial. "Now, when you have a high-profile case, there are many more things to worry about. A lot more things for the judiciary to worry about, a lot more things for the defense lawyers to worry about, and a lot more things for the prosecution to worry about. So all players are now playing with additional work and need to protect those safeguards to ensure a safe trial," he explained.
"And I have to tell you, 9 out of 10 times, we get it wrong," Jose shared, "So I would say that there's probably a significant chance that there are numerous errors that are within the system and within this case, that should be explored, and see if perhaps the results would have been different should it went the other way."
Tory was found guilty of three counts in connection to the alleged shooting, including felony assault with a semiautomatic firearm, possession of a concealed, unregistered firearm, and discharging a firearm with gross negligence. He faces up to 22 years and eight months in prison and deportation to Canada. He's due to be sentenced on January 27, but that date has since been rescheduled to February 28 due to a change in his legal counsel.